Thursday 24 February 2011

On the menu...Thursday 24th


Breaded Monkfish with Peppers, Courgettes, Mushrooms and Spaghetti in a Pesto Sauce

I'm in no denial that the description of this meal sounds horrifically pretentious, however there's little way of avoiding this, I'm suddenly finding when a meal contains more than three ingredients. That, and the fact that I felt it necessary to redeem myself in the (slightly ponsy) culinary stakes after the previous nights dreary supper consisting of heaps of greenery and fish cakes. Healthy, perhaps, but it doesn't make for interesting viewing! Who said a student's kitchen was a pride-less zone?!
So tonight's offering may look a little more restaurant worthy (I emphasise the word LITTLE), but yet again, I have Asda's reduced counter to thank for the slightly more elaborate ingredients! You should see me around that damn counter, like a vulture! Breadcrumbs are also a fiendish way of putting stale bread to use; whack it in a food processor, and Bob's your Uncle!
Pesto, I'm increasingly discovering can perk up the blandest of meals, and considering it's concentrated flavour, stretches a long way. For example, where a jar of pre-made pasta sauce, you'll only get one or two servings from, only 1 spoon-sized scoop of this gleaming emerald paste is required, making it a far more economical option.
Anyway, after gloating over my nutritious, wallet friendly, and hassle-free meal, I'm off to go chomp down a Boost bar. Just to restore the Karma in my stomach of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment