Tuesday 8 March 2011

On the Menu...Tuesday 1st


Unidentifiable meat product with Ratatouille

So, first things first: Immediate apologies for my significant lack of posts over the last week. 
Unfortunately for my waistline ever-hopeful of shrinking, reasons for this were not that I simply did not eat; nor could I claim to have been bogged down by Uni work (-well, Radio package and Online journalism essay aside, however that was due to my poor organisational skills)
My excuse? Quite simply, I have been eating filth. Utter GRIME. Until now I have been too ashamed to divulge this onto the general public. And as I'm pretty certain nobody wants to look at pictures of empty gin/vodka/cider/wine bottles (shudder) and various foodstuff's covered in pastry, I deemed this decision as just on the grounds of THE GREATER GOOD. It was only a matter of time until I (quite magnificently) fell off the healthy bandwagon.
So, in attempts to coax my stomach into accepting normality once more, this meal appeared a friendly compromise. 
For now, please turn a blind eye to the revolting slab of what I can only presume was in a previous life, a burger, and focus on the slightly more virtuous side of the plate.
Sadly, I take just as much satisfaction I being able to spell ratatouille as I do eating it, however, this ruby red side-dish shouldn't be sniffed at.
Traditionally made by frying onions, garlic, courgettes, aubergines and peppers together then combining with tomatoes, this can be easily be adapted depending on what random extra items of veg you have lurking at the bottom of your fridge. Courgettes are an essential base however.
In my case, this was mushrooms and cauliflower. Lightly fry the vegetables together in a large pan or wok, then when soft, bung in a can of chopped tomatoes, allow to simmer, and season with Italian herbs. If the sauce is a little bitter, add a spoonful of sugar or cheat with a cheeky dollop of ketchup. I always did believe ketchup was a necessity to the best of meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment