Monday 21 March 2011

On the menu...Friday 11th


Gnocchi with Choritzo, Mushrooms and Spinach in a Tomato and Garlic Sauce

"This is the best thing you've ever cooked me"
- Ben Bishop, 2011

Nothing quite like the innocent words of your Boyfriend to transport you back to a 50's stylee regime of domesticity.
Either I should take such critical "acclaim" as a sincere compliment, an ode to my impromptu culinary abilities...or take it as a subtle hint that the vast majority of the time I feed him garbage. I prefer to think that it isn't the latter.
Admittedly, this heaped mess does somewhat resemble a Dog's dinner. But looks can be deceiving, and take my word, this little beaut of a concoction is just as comforting and delicious as it is easy to prepare.
Some of you may be unaware of gnocchi, what it is, how to make it, how even to eat it! (-Well I don't know how Kitchen-smart you are!) For those of you who this applies to, expand your culinary horizons!
Ultimately comforting and wholesome, gnocchi consists of part mashed potato and pasta mix. A combination of 2 of these wonderfully starchy, carbohydrate-packed ingredients, it's surprisingly filling. 
Homemade gnocchi is relatively simple and cheap- there are plenty of recipes out there. My flatmate made a large batch of it, which took her around an hour, however she is part Italian which immediately roused my suspicion as to how much easier she'd find preparing it though! So for the rest of us simpletons, unless you really have nothing better to do (assignments, anyone?!) I'd suggest just buying a pack. I went for an Asda 'Extra Special' version -I'd love to say my reasons for this were that I was feeling a little more extravagant than usual,but alas, I just couldn't find the cheap version and I REALLY wanted gnocchi! Que sera sera.

No comments:

Post a Comment