Monday 21 March 2011

On the menu...Wednesday 9th


Poached Smoked Cod with New Potatoes, a Garlic Mushroom and Broccoli

So, in spite of my best efforts to justify my calorific meals with any excuse possible (the classic "I'M A STUDENT" appearing most frequently) I had quite horrendously fallen off the healthy eating Bandwagon. Well and truly. In fact, not only did I fall, I tumbled heftily before landing with a earth-shaking shudder and rolling on down the road. A feat not entirely impossible considering the spherical shape of my rotund tum. 
So, along came this svelte little creation. Looking as though it should appear among the pages of a Weight Watchers Manual, I can feel myself slipping back into those size 8 jeans which until now had remained hidden with embarrassment at the back of my wardrobe.
The preparation of this plate was pretty standard...boil your potatoes, then your broccoli, fry off some garlic, add it to the mushroom then oven bake...nothing too accomplished. My only lazy attempt at providing a handy tip would be poaching the fish in milk as opposed to water- It gives it a meatier, richer texture. Although, as you can see from my efforts above, this won't save it from a crumbly fate when removing from the plan. Oh, and be wary of over-boiling your brocolli into a mushy oblivion- I made this fatal mistake; and can safely say that as trendy as purées may be on Masterchef, accidental broccoli purée-ing in the average student kitchen isn't half as apealling.
Nevermind, it all ends up in the same place anyway- and I'm guessing you won't be posting pictures of your dinnertime accomplishments on the World Wide Web as I am. Weirdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment